San Clemente High School, Mayfield is a Catholic co-educational, Year 7 to 10 systemic school in the Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle.
San Clemente was founded as a school for girls by the Dominican Sisters in 1916. The school was moved to its present site in 1919. In 1976, San Clemente High School became the first diocesan Catholic High School to be staffed by lay people.
Another milestone occurred in 1983 when boys were enrolled for the first time. The school derives its name from San Clemente, a basilica in Rome, the name reflecting the Spanish origins of the Dominicans. San Clemente embraces the traditions of the Dominican Sisters.
The school's motto is 'Veritas' (Truth) and students are encouraged to follow it by being true to themselves, one another, their families and community.
San Clemente's professional and dedicated teaching staff are devoted to the development of students in a range of academic, spiritual, cultural and sporting opportunities. Such experiences are provided in the context of a caring and compassionate community. The school operates out of an evolving and dynamic culture of honesty and respect. Respect for the human person in students, parents, staff and others in the wider community; respect for creation and the environment locally, nationally and globally and respect for the gospel values to which we aspire.
The school aims to send into the world, students who are confident and accomplished, possessing the knowledge and skills to make a significant contribution to our society.
San Clemente High School, Mayfield accepts girls and boys, Years 7-10, from the areas of Mayfield, Mayfield West, Nelson Bay, Raymond Terrace, Stockton, Wallsend/Shortland and Waratah. The geographic boundary for Raymond Terrace is east of the Hunter River.
Students of San Clemente High School, Mayfield, are encouraged to continue their Catholic education by attending St Francis Xavier's College, Hamilton.