Further study opportunities for teachers
All teachers and staff within the Maitland-Newcastle Diocese are encouraged to undertake professional development throughout their career to further their education and improve career prospects. The BBI, Broken Bay Institute – Australian Institute of Theological Education and ACU, Australian Catholic University are the two preferred providers for postgraduate study with the Catholic Schools Office.
Teachers and staff who wish to teach in the Catholic system will complete a graduate certificate course and will be qualified to teach Religious Education in a Catholic school. Staff who are permanently employed at the CSO who undertake study through the Religious Education, Theology or Educational Leadership pathway at either institution, will be able to apply for fee help and relief to complete study requirements and attend CSO sponsored seminar days.
Studying at BBI:
Accreditation to teach in Catholic schools
- Teachers can fulfil Level 4 Faith Education Requirements by completing the Graduate Certificate in Religious Education through BBI.
- Teachers will be accredited to teach in a Catholic primary school and teach religion in a Catholic high school.
Leadership Accreditation in Catholic schools
- Teachers can fulfil Level 5 Faith Education Requirements by completing the Graduate Diploma or Master of Leadership & Theology through BBI.
- Teachers can fulfil Level 5 Faith Education Requirements by completing the Graduate Diploma or Master of Religious Education through BBI.
Head of Religious Education and Spirituality, Brian Lacey explains, “Staff have the option of further study with BBI through the Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Masters programs in Religious Education, Theology or Leadership and Theology.
“When staff are admitted to study through BBI they also have the option of selecting units through the Governance and Canon Law program. Many students enjoy the flexibility and diversity of study they are able to undertake with BBI. As it is a relatively small university provider staff who study with BBI enjoy the personal contact provided from the BBI teaching and support team.”
Studying at ACU:
Through the faculty of Theology and Philosophy, the ACU Centre for Liturgy provides high-quality academic courses of study in liturgical studies and sacramental theology. Centre academics also supervise students undertaking higher degree research in liturgy and sacramental theology and doctoral levels through a variety of degree programs.
Postgraduate programs offered at ACU are:
- Graduate Certificate in Theological Studies (Liturgy)
- Graduate Diploma in Theological Studies
- Master of Theological Studies
Staff who are considering study through BBI or ACU are invited to contact the Catholic Schools Office in the Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle for further information.
For BBI inquiries, please contact Brian Lacey, Head of Religious Education and Spirituality Services, Catholic Schools Office on 4947 1211 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
For ACU inquiries, please contact Chris Quinn, Assistant Director of Schools, Catholic Schools Office on 4979 1244 or via email email@example.com