Update – February 2023
During the consultation process regarding the 7 to 12 secondary changes, feedback from the St Pius X Adamstown staff and family communities noted the absence of a strong Catholic charism for the school. One of the key recommendations from the transitioning to Years 7 to 12 work is, “In the absence of a unique charism, it is recommended that St Pius X discern the potential of a new charism and cultural identity.”
With the addition of Year 11 and 12, comes the opportunity to review and renew the school’s name. We now want to explore name options to enhance the spiritual formation of students and embrace a new spiritual charism and educational identity for the school. View an information pack on the St Pius X website and complete our online form to have your say before 24 March, 2023.
Overview - October 2022
Following feedback and consultation, recommendations have been released formalising the detail of Newcastle secondary schools transitioning Years 7 to 12.
Over the next five years, the Catholic Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle is renewing its approach to secondary schooling in Newcastle to ensure it best supports the educational needs and outcomes for its students now, and as we look to the future.
From 2024, Catholic secondary schools in Newcastle will commence a staged transition to Year 7 to Year 12 schools, this includes:
- St Francis Xavier’s College, Hamilton, currently Years 11 and 12, will commence the transition with the inclusion of Year 7 in 2024, adding a further year group each year to the full Year 7-12 complement in 2027.
- St Pius X High School, Adamstown, currently Years 7-10, commences with its first Year 11 students no later than 2025, becoming a full Year 7-12 school in 2026.
- San Clemente High School, Mayfield, currently Years 7-10, commences with its first Year 11 students in 2026, becoming a Year 7-12 school in 2027.
We remain committed to strong educational outcomes, improved student wellbeing, opportunities for staff, enhanced learning environments and accessible Catholic education.
- View the overview that highlights the recommendations and key next steps.
- View Frequently Asked Questions.
- View our media statement.
In May 2022, the Trustees of the Diocese made the decision to transition all secondary schools in Newcastle to Years 7 to 12. The transition will occur in a staged and planned way.
From 2024, Catholic secondary schools in Newcastle will be commencing a staged transition to Year 7 to Year 12 schools, this includes:
- San Clemente High School, Mayfield – with the inclusion of Years 11 and 12
- St Francis Xavier’s College, Hamilton – with the inclusion of Years 7, 8, 9 and 10
- St Pius X High School, Adamstown – with the inclusion of Years 11 and 12
The transition of schools to a full Year 7 to Year 12 complement is expected to be completed no later than 2027.
Staff, students, families and the wider community were invited to collaborate on the implementation plan to meet the unique needs of each school.
- Information Pack - May 2022
- Frequently Asked Questions - May 2022
- Media Statement - May 2022
- What to expect at the Listening Assemblies (June 2022)
- What we heard from the listening opportunities
Join our mailing list to receive updates.