Accident Cover for Students
The CSO has student accident insurance with Catholic Church Insurance called Student Care Insurance. For more information, click here.
This policy covers students for accidents within school hours. There are several main points to note about this policy:
- This cover is for accidents and not illnesses e.g. a broken arm is covered; however, an asthma attack is not.
- This cover includes ambulance costs; however, again this is only for accident, not illness. (The CSO has independent illness ambulance cover from NSW Ambulance.)
- CCI cannot cover the Medicare Gap because it is a general insurer (rather than a medical/health insurer. It can pay non-Medicare expenses e.g. hire of equipment (such as crutches), physio, and chiropractic treatment.
- Parents can claim directly with CCI here, using the Client Number (3169) and the Policy Number (02.PAE.0128389). The Student Care Accident Pack Claim form is available here.
Ambulance Cover for Students
The CSO has insurance policies to cover students who are transported from school or a school-sanctioned activity by ambulance to a medical facility. There are two separate policies:
- Injury insurance: For students who sustain an injury while at school on a school-sanctioned activity
- Illness insurance: For students who become ill at school or at a school-sanctioned activity.
In the case of injury
- Cover for students who are transported from school or a school-sanctioned activity by ambulance because of injury is provided by Catholic Church Insurance (CCI). This cover is part of the Student Care cover.
- The ambulance invoice will be sent to the parent/caregiver.
- The school must provide to the parent/caregiver the CCI Student Care Claim details (either printed copy of claim for or web address to claim online). The CSO Student Care Policy Number is 02 PAE 0128389.
- The ambulance invoice can be sent to CCI to be paid.
In the case of Illness
- Cover for students who are transported from school or a school-sanctioned activity by ambulance because of illness is provided by NSW Ambulance Service
- School staff and parents/caregivers should refer to the NSW Ambulance School and Group Cover Scheme Policy Guidelines
- NSW Ambulance Service will send an invoice for this trip to the student’s home address
- Parents/caregivers should refer to and follow the above policy guidelines when making payment of the ambulance invoice
- If the parent/caregiver does not pay the invoice and it is returned to the school, the school should complete the back of the invoice, inserting the CSO customer number, which is SCH0000168, in the appropriate location and forward to NSW Ambulance Service.