CSO Leadership Framework
The Catholic School Office Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle is committed to being a provider of choice for families in our community and to delivering excellence that supports students’ formation, wellbeing and educational outcomes. The Leadership Framework highlights our commitment as a system to building leadership capacity and capability and a strong leadership culture that will support our aspirations and mission moving forward.
The Catholic Schools Office values and recognises the capacity for staff at all levels to exercise leadership and to contribute to our mission, regardless of whether they occupy a formal leadership role or position in a school or the CSO.
The Leadership Framework provides a common language for all CSO and system staff and provides a structure to support the professional growth and career paths of existing and aspiring leaders. For teaching staff, the framework is designed to be used in conjunction with the relevant Australian Professional Standards for Teachers and Australian Professional Standard for Principals.
The framework provides the opportunity for all staff to reflect on what it means to be a Catholic school leader; to reflect on their leadership practice; identify strengths and areas for improvement; and choose appropriate professional learning activities that support their leadership development.
Through informing the design of professional development pathways, the Leadership Framework together with appropriate professional support will attract more staff to leadership roles and support conversations regarding effective leadership.
The Leadership Framework captures the characteristics and behaviours of good leadership articulated through six leadership capabilities that staff at all levels can practise and develop.
The Leadership Framework has several aims including:
- Clearly articulating the leadership capabilities required to create and sustain faith-filled Catholic school communities
- Being explicit about the leadership capabilities required to create and sustain effective learning environments within Diocesan Catholic schools
- Supporting self-evaluation and reflection
- Guiding the formation and growth of potential and current school leaders within and across schools
- Guiding staff in their selection of leadership pathways and professional learning appropriate to and reflective of career stage and experience
- Supporting PP&D and review processes
- Supporting the development of professional development programs
- Informing recruitment and selection process
- Proactively supporting the changing landscape and context of leadership in a Catholic school